Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Seems a downright shame...

Green finch, and linnet bird,
Nightingale, blackbird,
How is it you sing?
How can you jubilate
sitting in cagesnever taking wing?
Outside the sky waits
Beckoning!Beckoning!
Just beyond the bars...
How can you remain staring at the rain
maddened by the stars?
How is it you sing
anything?
How is it you sing?
Green finch. and linnet bird,
nightingale, blackbird
How is it you sing?
Whence comes this melody
constantly floating?
Is it rejoicing or merely aloaming?
Are you discussing?
Or fussing?
Or simply dreaming?
Are you crowing?
Are you screaming?
Ring dove and robinet is it for wages?
Singing to be sold?
Have you decided it's safer in cages
singing when you're told?
My cage has many rooms
damask and dark...
Nothing there sings,
not even my lark.
Larks never will,
you know,when they're captive.
Teach me to be more adaptive.
Ah...Green Finch, and Linnet Bird,
nightingale, blackbird,
teach me how to sing.
If I cannot fly...Let me sing.

Last night Cool Roommate and I went to see Sweeney Todd. Talk about fun! Murder, mayhem, cannibalism all wrapped in a Sondehim musical.

Okay, so it was Rated R but I'm sorry... its a musical and I'll watch just about any musical.

It was very bloody but the music was AMAZING.

This song made me think about how we sometimes do feel a little trapped in our circumstances in life. The character is being held against her will but manages to sing anyway. Shouldn't we all try to do that? ... No matter what we're dealing with, we should find some glimmer of happiness that allows us to sing.

I say that as I am singing this song as home. I am a horrible singer but I just enjoy singing.

And besides, the straighties are not home.

1 comment:

One of So Many said...

It's sometimes hard to sing in a bad situation when your chest cavity is being crushed by the weight of the issue.