Sunday, January 27, 2008

Rainy Days and Sundays...

I am kidding about the blog title. Just a play on words with the Karen Carpenter song.

Although, I heard it is supposed to be a Rainy Day in Provo today. But I hope not. Rain and winter don't mix. Because then ice happens.

Today in my Ward we had a Fast Sunday because next week is some sort of Stake Conference thing. I had a prompting to bear my testimony and I spoke for a minute about my favorite scripture...

Its short, simple and to the point...

Doctrine and Covenants 76: 60 "And they shall overcome all things."

I like this scripture over others because it is simple but also profound.

It is referring to the people who will inherit Celestial Glory. They will overcome all things. ALL THINGS. Not just some things. And not just most things. ALL THINGS. It's all inclusive.

I think it describes how we can work now. To try to overcome anything in our lives.

I'm not saying that tomorrow I'm going to wake up with thoughts of having sex with a woman, or even a desire to get married in this life. I do not think that is going to happen, nor do I think that is what is involved with "overcoming" same-gender attraction.

So many of the ex-Mormon crowd taunt those of us who choose to stay in the church, saying we're looking for a "cure" and laughing at the thought. Or even making fun of individuals who choose for whatever reason to get married. Or those who choose to remain married after "coming out" to their spouse. Or those who choose to leave the gay world and return to the church.

Personally, I think there are many ways to "overcome" this.

For one, I won't let it rule my life. I don't spend all day thinking or talking about it. Honestly, I have better things to do. Even if I decided to get a boyfriend and leave the church, I'd HOPE my life wasn't all tied up in who I was attracted to. There's a lot more to life.

No matter what I decide, I can overcome this "hurdle" in life by doing all I can to make the world a better place. I like to be a positive influence on those around me. I can provide service or just be a friend. While it might not be changing my orientation, I can change those around me for the better--focusing on them might help me to worry about my own challenges.

So I will close this blog with my testimony that I love the Church, I love the Prophet and I want to honor him by listening to him... I am not always the best at it. I know this church is true. And I will listen to the Prophet's teachings regarding homosexual behavior. I KNOW it is true. I could never deny it. And I also know that we can overcome any challenge in life---large or small---but that overcoming it doesn't mean it will always go away.

Have a great Sabbath day!

p.s. Cool Roommate and I are going to FHE tomorrow night. First time ever together. Weird. I never normally do ward things. But it might be fun!

No comments: