Tuesday, February 5, 2008

My so called life

I will admit that I am currently addicted to watching reruns of My So Called Life on Abc.com. I watch it every week.

That show sometimes makes me think.

The main character Angela at one time tried really hard to fit in. Then, the first episode she dyes her hair red and starts hanging out with new people.

Tonight I make Chicken Cordon Bleu. A friend of mine didn't realize that was the name. He always calls it Chicken Gordon Blue.

And I realized I should call it Chicken Corbin Bleu. Its cuter.

Okay...

I think I like the idea of breaking a mold even more ever since I wrote that blog.

I don't think we all need to be alike. I actually love seeing diversity at church. Tonight I was reading about Samaritans in a good called "The Four Gospels" and it brought up some interesting points.

The Savior went to the Samaritans on several occasions, and also used them in several stories to teach a few principles. It would be like Gordon B. Hinckley using a drug-dealer as an example of Christ-like love. At the time, the Samaritans were a HATED people. Total outcasts and despised. They were partially Jewish in their background but were considered dirty and unclean.

However, among the Samaritans, the Savior found some good followers.

I guess it goes to show that the outcasts of the world are sometimes the best.

The Savior taught the gospel lesson of the Living Waters to a woman who had lived immorally with many men. This was interesting to me. He chose a woman who was an outcast on many levels---being a woman, being a Samaritan and being an open sinner. And yet, he must have known her heart was good.

What is so wrong about being an outcast of mainstream society? People want to fit in with the popular crowd so often, and yet---what truly great artists ever did what everyone else was doing?

No comments: