Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Eternal life would be lonely without someone to love...


From the amazing movie, Stardust, in a scene where Yvaine, a fallen star, is questioning her friend Tristan's desire to steal her eternal life.


Yvaine... "Are you tempted?"

Tristain... "Tempted by what?"

Yvaine... "Immortality. Let's say it wasn't my heart. Not. me. Just a star you didn't know."

Tristan... "You seriously think I could kill anybody? Even if I could, I mean, everlasting life? I imagine it would be kind of lonely. Well, maybe if you had someone to share it with. Someone you loved. Then it would be different."


I have now seen this movie twice in theaters. Each time, that scene makes me think.


I know I am sentimental and I put far too much thinking into a movie.

But isn't that what the gospel teaches, in a sense? That everlasting life is supposed to have a partner?


If that is the case, then why this challenge?

As I have thought about this issue of same-gender attraction in my life, I wonder if this trial... challenge... condition... mortal experience... however we'd like to view it is part of a greater plan which we are only barely glimpsing with our simpleminded natures. We're mortal beings, subject to flaws, failures and second-guessing a divine creator who doesn't make mistakes.


I refuse to believe this was mere accident that I was created in this way. I'm not a disease or a plague. I'm a human being, as flawed in my nature as anyone else.


However, with this particular challenge so many people turn away from the gospel. Why is that? Why is it that so many people cannot look beyond politics, genetic science, equal rights, "nature versus nurture", etc. to see that this challenge has to do more with love than anything. Its because of an all-knowing Father in Heaven that He provides selected sons and daughters with a particular challenge which seems overwhelming at times. Ask anyone the truth about their life experience and they will admit it is not what they probably imagined. And how could we know what life would have been like? We'd never experienced a seperation from our Father. We'd never experienced pain or suffering and had limited understanding.


Who better to become like God... an all-knowing, all kind and good immortal being... than someone who has been given a challenge which seems impossible? Who better to understand pain than someone who has had to experience societies, governments or perhaps even religions which do not accept them based on their life experiences?


It is for that reason that I stay... Knowing that even if I cannot have a wife in this life, that someday I will find one who is worth the wait, the challenges to get to her, and the pain I might have to experience from idiots who are not willing to admit their own flaws for poorly judging others who maybe act a little different from the norm.


On a sidenote, isn't Yvaine an absolutely gorgeous name? I hope my wife is named Yvaine.


The above is a bit of my testimony regarding this challenge.


I love you all. Go see Stardust. It plays daily for now at the dollar theater on University Parkway.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

An interesting insight. You are a wise man, my friend.

Matt said...

I've been letting other things get in the way of that idea, recently. It's good to keep in mind.

I liked Stardust a lot too.