Thursday, October 24, 2013

My Dreams ... have to change

The Democratic Republic of Congo has issued a statement which says that single individuals cannot adopt from their country anymore. Married couples are having suspensions temporarily as they figure out new adoption laws.

I've been working for 55 hours a week on and off for years to stay on top of things financially. I paid off 25,000 in debts including all my student loans over the past year and a half. I have been working with a credit fixing agency to fix my credit to help me buy a house to prepare for the kid. I have read countless books, websites, blogs, articles, etc.

I think about my adoption everyday. Its what keeps me motivated, to keep trying, to keep working towards that goal. Even home ownership is just a part of the plan to get the child.

I had my heart set on that country.

And now my heart has been stomped on.

Is it possible to have a broken heart even in cases where romantic love isn't involved?

I don't really have a backup plan. Uganda and Nigeria were two options but they're very strict and hard to work with. Haiti allows single men but I need to be 35 years old. Very few places allow for single men to adopt. It is truly unfortunate because I'd be a better father than most men and a better mother-figure than most women.

Truly, I feel like my heart has been ripped out of my chest.

So now the question is... should I just get married for tax and adoption purposes?

No comments: